Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Pancreatitis in 2021
The pancreas is an organ that releases digestion-facilitating enzymes. When a pancreas in a dog is healthy, the enzymes it releases activates only after they reach the small intestine. In a sick dog, however, the enzymes activate as soon as they are released, starting to chew on the walls of the pancreas, resulting in tissue-inflammation, and if left unchecked, the inflammation may spread to the surrounding tissues and organs too, proving to be life-threatening.
Studies have shown that a high-calorie diet and obesity are two of the main causes of pancreatitis. Symptoms often show up late but include vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.
The best diet that helps prevent or fight with the symptoms of pancreatitis is a low-carb and probiotic diet. Without further ado, take a look at 10 of the best dog foods for pancreatitis.
Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Pancreatitis
10. HILL’S PRESCRIPTION DIET Gastrointestinal Biome Dog Food
When your dog’s digestive system gets upset, it turns into a highly unpleasant experience for you. Hill’s Prescription diet will take care of the matter right away.
Nutritional value and quality: This formula nurtures the microbiome in your dog’s gut.
- The formula contains activbiome+ which is a blend of active fibers that nourish gut flora.
- Activbiome plus formula makes sure the digestive tract remains healthy.
- Has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds
See this: Top 10 Best Holistic Dog Foods of 2021
9. Solid Gold Holistique Blendz Natural Senior Dog Food
The nutrient blend in this dog food ensures all-round wellness in your dog’s life.
Nutritional value and quality: This blend is perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs and a carefully balanced diet that contains ocean fish meal and other superfoods.
- Made of highly digestible proteins and probiotics—to maintain a healthy gut
- Has barley and other grains
- Contains no potato
- Contains high in minerals—calcium, sodium, and phosphorus for stronger immunity
- Omega fatty acids cleanse the gut, removes inflammatory factors.
8. MERRICK Dog Foods for Pancreatitis
Grain-free dry food is the best for pups with digestive sensitivity.
Nutritional value and quality: Less is more for doggies with a sensitive gut. The formula contains only nine ingredients including vitamins and minerals.
- Protein sources are mainly chicken and peas.
- Grain-free and enriched with vitamins and minerals
- Easy to digest and tastes amazing
6. Royal Canin Dog Foods for Pancreatitis
Royal Canin blend is recommended by vets!
Nutritional value and quality: The content is low in fats and high in probiotics and antioxidants. Before use, a vet’s prescription is required.
- Rich in prebiotics and antioxidants for efficient digestion and healthy immune system
- Excellent for dogs with pancreatitis and gastrointestinal diseases
- Has low fiber content which promotes faster and easier digestion
5. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Dry Dog Food
This dry dog food ensures your dog remains happy and playful all the time!
Nutritional value and quality: This blend uses a gastroenteric canine formula for easier and faster digestibility.
- Low fat and low fiber—keep body weight in check and food gets digested easily
- Should be used as directed by a veterinarian
Check out: Best Grain-Free Dog Treats in 2021
4. ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food & Topper Recipe
Give an extra treat to your puppy with this amazing dog food.
Nutritional value and quality: Ziwi takes pride in its organic method of meat preservation—air drying. This method eliminates entry or survival of pathogens and also locks nutrients inside the food.
- Meat and fish are organically sourced from New Zealand—cattle are grass-fed and seafood is fresh.
- Rich in proteins—96% meat, bone, organs, and sea-food
- No soy, grains, glycerin, sugars or antibiotics
- Contains superfoods like mussels, kelp and green tripe
3. Blue Buffalo Dog Foods for Pancreatitis
This diet will ensure your canines finish their meals to a plate-licking conclusion.
Nutritional value and quality: The diet contains limited ingredients that are ideal for pups with gastrointestinal issues.
- Ingredients contain real meat and healthy fruits and veggies.
- Real meat source is only one—either turkey, salmon, duck, or lamb.
- Contains potatoes, peas, oatmeal and brown rice which help indigestion
- Has fish oil and flaxseeds which keeps the coat shiny
2. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Available in various forms—base, toppers, wet or treats. This wellness diet will tick all requirements of your dog’s health!
Nutritional value and quality: Providing grain-free, protein-rich nutrition, this blend’s protein source is a duck, turkey, rabbit, and wild boar.
- Contains legumes for greater immunity
- Rich in antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals
- No fillers or GMO’s—grain, corn, soy, gluten
1. CANIDAE PURE Weight Management Dog Food
Like they say, “There is nothing questionable in a bag of Canidae Pure.”, so you can feed this to your dog without any worry!
Nutritional value and quality: Canidae Pure believes in making wholesome food using minimal ingredients because that helps in quick digestion of dogs with sensitive guts.
- Does not contain grain, soy or wheat
- No filler, by-products or additives
- Has antioxidants, vitamins, and probiotics
- Contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a shinier coat
Check out: Best Low Protein Diet For Dogs In 2021
To conclude, our four-legged buddies mean the world to us! We spend quality time with them every day, and every moment is cherishable. Among all these magical times, pops out moments that we wish we could have eliminated from our pet’s life completely, the times when they get sick.
But little do we know, that sometimes, due to the ignorance of our own blind compassion, we, ourselves, inflict this pain on them. We keep feeding them carb-rich high-fat diets because we think they are healthy but oftentimes we are grossly mistaken. Make the wiser decision before it is too late by feeding dog foods for pancreatitis.